2018-2019 Catalog 
    Oct 22, 2021  
2018-2019 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduation Requirements

Associate Degrees for Transfer

The Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act (Senate Bill 1440, now codified in California Education Code sections 66746-66749) guarantees admission to a California State University (CSU) campus for any community college student who completes an “associate degree for transfer”, a newly established variation of the associate degrees traditionally offered at a California community college. The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing these degrees (AA-T or AS-T) are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. Students transferring to a CSU campus that does accept the AA-T or AS-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated “high-unit” major).

To view the most current list of Saddleback College Associate Degrees for Transfer and to find out which CSU campuses accept each degree, please go to http://www.adegreewithaguarantee.com/en-us/abouttheprogram/findyourpath.aspx or www.saddleback.edu/articulation. This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to a university or college that is not part of the CSU system. Current and prospective community college students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review their options for transfer and to develop an educational plan that best meets their goals and needs.

To complete the associate degree for transfer, students must complete:


1.  A minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units. Courses numbered 1-199 at Saddleback are applicable towards the AA-T and AS-T degrees;

2.  A minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in all CSU-transferable coursework (While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with a counselor for more information.);

3.  A minimum of 18 semester units in an AA-T or AS-T major. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C or better or a “P” (pass) designation may be used instead of a letter grade, but not all transfer institutions will accept courses with a “P”; and

4.  Certified completion of the California State University General Education-Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth) OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern.


Students who have been awarded an AA-T or AS-T are able to complete their remaining requirements for the 120-unit baccalaureate degree within 60 semester or 90 quarter units.