2019-2020 Catalog 
    Feb 06, 2023  
2019-2020 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Credit for Prior Learning

Credit for Prior Learning

Credit by Examination - post secondary specific course credit

College Examinations - The procedures for securing permission to obtain Post-Secondary Credit by Examination for a course are as follows:

1. The course appears in a current catalog for the District’s colleges, and the currently  enrolled student has not received previous high school or college credit, attempted credit by examination, or has never  enrolled in the course for which Credit by Exam is being requested. Additionally, the course should be one in which the course content can be tested by examination, in the opinion of the department and of the instructor assigned. A student may not receive credit by examination for any course which is a prerequisite to one for which credit has been received. 

2. The student obtains a Credit by Examination petition form from the Office of Admissions and Records. 

3. The student contacts an instructor who teaches the course for which Credit by Examination is requested.  If it is the judgment of that instructor that the course content can be tested by examination, and that the student possesses sufficient background, previous training and/or skill to attempt the examination, the instructor signs the form.

4. The student, following policies and procedures developed within the department, obtains the signature of the division/school dean.

5. Following division/school endorsement, the request is forwarded to the Vice President of Instruction for signature. 

6. The initiating instructor prepares, administers and grades the examination.

7. A grade of Pass (P) or No Pass (NP) will be assigned and the course will be identified as “Credit by Examination” on the transcript.  Once assigned, a grade is not reversible.

8. The student will pay the enrollment fee for the course for which Credit by Exam is obtained. 


High school students may be granted college credit pursuant to established CTE articulation agreements between the high school or Regional Occupation Program (ROP) and the applicable college.

The student will apply online to one of the colleges in the SOCCCD. There is no requirement to be currently registered to receive credit.

 A letter grade may be assigned and the course will be identified as “Credit by Examination” on the transcript in accordance with official grading assignment on the Course Outline of Record (COR).  Once assigned, a grade is not reversible.

The enrollment fee for credit by examination will not be charged for credit awarded under this provision.

Students who are unsuccessful in obtaining a standard grade of B or better will not be allowed to petition for credit and no record of the attempt for credit by examination will appear on a student’s transcript. 

Note: Students should be aware that some universities will not recognize credit earned through credit by examination for languages other than English in which they have received formal schooling in that language.

Credit Transferred from Other Institutions

The Board of Trustees of the South Orange County Community College District has mandated that full reciprocity shall exist for courses completed at either Irvine Valley College or Saddleback College. Saddleback College grants credit for college units earned at any regionally accredited institution of higher education. Course equivalencies are determined by the Office of Admissions and Records in accordance with the policies and requirements set forth in this catalog. It is the student’s responsibility to arrange to have transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions and Records and to apply for evaluations. No more than four units may be awarded for sectarian courses.

A student who has completed a Bachelor’s degree or higher at a regionally accredited college or university, has met the Saddleback College General Education requirements for the Associate degree; however, transcript evaluation must verify completion of a course conducted in English equivalent to ENG 1A with a grade of “C” or higher, as well as an equivalent to a course applicable to the American Institutions requirement. Nursing students who possess a Bachelor’s degree are not held to the American Institutions requirement, per SB1393.

Military Service Credit

Six semester units of general elective credit toward an Associate degree will be awarded for a minimum of one year of active honorable service. In the first semester of attendance, veterans who are collecting V.A. educational benefits must submit their DD-214 to the Veterans Office to be evaluated for these credits. Other veterans who are not collecting V.A. educational benefits, will be evaluated by the Office of Admissions and Records.

In addition, credit will be awarded for work completed successfully in military service schools, not to exceed 15 semester units, according to the recommendations of the American Council on Education as stipulated in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. Military Service credit will be evaluated only upon completion of 12 units in residence and application for an evaluation for an associate degree. Military evaluation forms may be obtained from the Office of Admissions and Records.

Military service credit may not necessarily apply toward minimum admissions requirements for other colleges or universities. Credit is generally given only after the student is fully matriculated and enrolled at the university upon submission of Form DD-214 or DD-295.

Saddleback College veterans’ counselors are your primary source of information regarding academic planning, veteran’s resources, and career and personal counseling.  They are located in the college VETS Center and are available for scheduled appointments and walk-in sessions.  VA students will need to get a My Academic Plan (MAP) completed by one of these counselors in order to start receiving VA educational benefits. Questions regarding course selection and academic requirements may be addressed through this source.

Transfer Credit from Foreign Institutions

Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an accredited evaluation service and submitted to the Admissions and Records Office.  The evaluation must include a detailed report that includes course, unit and GPA breakdowns in order for credit toward an associate degree petition to be considered.  A list of acceptable accrediting agencies may be found at: http://www.saddleback.edu/uploads/iso/foreigntranscriptevaluators.pdf