2020-2021 Catalog 
    Jun 19, 2024  
2020-2021 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Articulation/Transfer Patterns

University of California

(Refer to the California CSU/UC map )

Priority Application Filing Periods


Fall Quarter: November 1-30
Winter Quarter*: July 1-31
Spring Quarter*: October 1-31

For further information regarding the application and admissions process, refer to the UC’s online undergraduate application website at www.universityofcalifornia.edu

Eligibility for Transfer

California Residents: To qualify for admission to the University as a transfer student, a student must meet one of the following three sets of requirements. The pathway a student follows depends upon whether they were eligible for admission to the UC when they graduated from high school. California residents must have at least a “C” (2.0) average in all transferable college coursework.

  1. Students who were eligible for admission to the University when they graduated from high school [meaning they satisfied the Subject, Scholarship, and Examination requirements, or were identified by the University during the senior year in high school as eligible under the Eligibility in the Local Context (ELC) program], are eligible to transfer if they have a “C” (2.0) average in transferable coursework.
  2. Students who met the Scholarship Requirement but not the Subject Requirement must take transferable college courses in the missing subjects, earning a “C” or better in each required course, and have an overall “C” (2.0) average in all transferable college coursework to be eligible to transfer.
  3. Students who were not eligible for admission to the University when they graduated from high school because they did not meet the Scholarship Requirement must:
    1. Complete 60 semester units or 90 quarter units of transferable college credit with a grade-point average of at least 2.4, with no more than 14 semester (21 quarter) units completed on a credit/no credit basis AND
    2. Complete the following course pattern requirement, earning a grade of “C” or better in each course:
      1. two transferable college courses (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units each) in English composition; and
      2. one transferable college course (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units) in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning; AND
      3. four transferable college courses (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units each) chosen from at least two of the following subject areas: the arts and humanities, the social and behavioral sciences, and the physical and biological sciences.

(Students who satisfy the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) prior to transferring to UC may satisfy Option 3B above of the transfer admission requirements.)

Nonresidents: The minimum admission requirements for nonresidents are very similar to those for California residents. However, nonresidents must have a grade point average of 2.8 or higher in all transferable coursework. Students are advised to consult with the Admissions Office at the UC campus of choice for details and specific requirements.

If the number of applicants exceeds the spaces available for a particular campus or major — as is often the case — the campus uses criteria that exceed the minimum requirements to select students. Meeting the minimum requirements, therefore, is not enough to gain admission to many UC campuses and programs. The average grade-point average varies widely by campus and by major.

Community College Transfer Priority Admission

UC campuses give priority consideration for admission to California community college students. A California community college student applying for admission to the University of California in advanced standing will be given priority admission over all other applicants if:

  1. you were enrolled at one or more California community colleges for at least two terms (excluding summer sessions);
  2. the last college attended before admission to a UC campus was a California community college (excluding summer sessions); and
  3. you have completed at least 30 semester (45 quarter) UC-transferable units at one or more California community colleges.

Program Planning for Transfer to a UC Campus

Students planning to transfer to the University of California must keep the following requirements in mind when selecting courses:

  1. Admission/Major Requirements:
    As indicated above, the University has a common set of requirements which specify minimum eligibility for admission as a transfer student. However, several campuses have additional requirements that may go well beyond minimum eligibility requirements, particularly where the number of applications exceeds the number of spaces available. Students should give first priority toward completing all lower-division requirements for the major. In many cases, completing a portion of the major requirements is essential to gain admission to the major at the junior level.
  2. General Education/Breadth:
    Each school and college at every UC campus has its own general education, or breadth requirements designed to give students a broad background in a variety of academic areas. Students have the option of (1) completing the campus specific breadth requirements or (2) completing the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC).  The IGETC pattern is viewable at www.saddleback.edu/articulation.

A minimum of 120 units (180 quarter units) is required to complete a baccalaureate degree from the University of California. The University will award graduation credit for up to 70 semester (105 quarter) units of transferable coursework from a community college. Courses in excess of 70 semester units will receive subject credit and may be used to satisfy University subject requirements. Some campuses have limits on the number of transfer units that will be accepted. If your community college work is combined with credit from a four-year institution, there might be a problem. Please consult the Admissions Office at the UC campus that interests you.

In general, no UC course credit is given for a course completed after a more advanced course is completed in the same subject matter. Refer to www.assist.org for the UC transferable course list for specific information regarding limitations on credit for transfer.

Courses Accepted for Transfer to the University of California

(Information Subject to Change)

The University of California Office of the President (UCOP) annually reviews Saddleback College course offerings to determine which courses are similar in nature, scope, and content to UC offerings. Saddleback College’s UC-transferable course listings are available on ASSIST at www.assist.org. Saddleback College courses which do not appear on the UC Transfer Course Agreement (TCA) and are numbered from 1 to 99 are either pending UC transfer credit review by the UC Office of the President, or were not approved as UC-transferable. Consult with a Saddleback College counselor and refer often to ASSIST at www.assist.org.

IGETC - The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum

(Information Subject to Change)

2020-2021 IGETC was not available at the time of publication.  Once available, it is viewable at www.saddleback.edu/articulation.

Please meet with a counselor for the most up to date information.

The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is a series of courses that community college students can use to satisfy lower-division general education requirements at any campus of the University of California (UC) or California State University (CSU). The IGETC will permit a student to transfer from Saddleback College to a campus in either of these university systems without the need, after transfer, to take additional lower-division general education courses to satisfy campus general education requirements.

Completion of the IGETC is not a requirement for admission to a CSU or UC campus, nor is it the only way to fulfill the lower-division general education requirements of CSU or UC prior to transfer. The IGETC is most advantageous for transfers who have not yet decided on a major or a campus. Once a student has identified a major, it is important to work toward fulfilling any required preparatory courses—particularly in those professional or “high unit” majors that select applicants on the basis of satisfaction of lower-division major requirements. It is important to note that this does not preclude a student from following IGETC. However, IGETC should not be done to the exclusion of completing any preparatory courses needed for admission to the major.

It is not advisable for transfers to engineering and science majors at any UC campus to use IGETC. Students entering “high unit” majors, such as those in the sciences, must be careful to complete any needed lower-division major preparation. For example, majors in the sciences not only have specific science prerequisites, but also substantial mathematics requirements. Some majors specifically prohibit the use of IGETC.


Certification of IGETC Requirements

It is important to remember that coursework taken at other certifying community colleges will be certified only in areas certified by the community college where the course was completed on an approved California Community College course list in the year it was taken. Courses completed at non-certifying colleges and universities will be certified only when deemed equivalent to courses on approved California Community College course list or approved by Saddleback College faculty as meeting IGETC content and rigor standards.

Note: Coursework from Irvine Valley College or other community colleges with the same course number and/or title may not always be certified in the same category at Saddleback College for IGETC. Also similar coursework from accredited independent or private colleges will not always be certified unless the course content is deemed equivalent to courses on an approved California Community College course list or approved by Saddleback College faculty as meeting IGETC content and academic rigor standards.

Partial Certification of IGETC Requirements

Student may be partially certified if deficient no more than two courses. If partially certified, the student has the option of completing the one or two remaining courses at another community college or at the transfer institution until the beginning of the second year of transfer. Warning: Students need Area 1 and 2 completed to meet minimum transfer admission requirements. Therefore, partial certification that acknowledges a deficiency in Area 1 and/or 2 may also indicate a student does not meet minimum transfer requirements.

University of California General Education Breadth Requirements

As previously indicated, each University of California (UC) campus has unique graduation requirements. Articulation agreements listing equivalent Saddleback courses meeting general education breadth requirements for UC campuses are available in the Counseling Services office or refer to ASSIST website at www.assist.org

Articulation agreement information regarding course-to-course and major requirements for UC campuses is also available on ASSIST.

University of California Transfer Admission Programs

The UC campuses offer a variety of programs in support of transfer admission, particularly for community college students. Inquire in the Counseling Services office or the Transfer Center for information regarding the Transfer Admissions Guarantee (TAG) program with all UC campuses except UC Berkeley, UC Los Angeles, and UC San Diego. In addition, students completing the Honors Program at Saddleback College are eligible for priority or guaranteed admission to participating UC campuses such as UC Irvine (Honors to Honors Program), or UC Los Angeles (Transfer Alliance Program). For more information on available Honors UC transfer admissions programs, visit the Saddleback College Honors Program website: www.saddleback.edu/honors/honors-transfer or contact the Transfer Center.