2021-2022 Spring Edition 
    Jul 05, 2022  
2021-2022 Spring Edition [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Articulation/Transfer Patterns




The following information is subject to change


The California State University

(Refer to the California CSU/UC map )

*Application Filing Periods

(Applications first accepted):

Summer Semester or Quarter:
Fall Semester or Quarter:
Winter Quarter:
Spring Semester or Quarter:
February 1-28
October 1- November 30
June 1 - June 30
August 1 - August 30

*You are urged to file early. Applications to impacted majors must be filed during the initial filing period. The CSU designates major programs as impacted when more applications are received in the initial filing period from CSU eligible applicants than can be accommodated. If applying after the initial filing period, consult the campus admissions office or website for current information. Except for impacted majors, campuses accept applications until enrollment categories are filled. Most campuses will acknowledge receiving your application within two to four weeks.  Summer, winter and spring semester/quarter, is not always open for admissions.  For more details refer to the CSU application website at http://www.calstate.edu/apply

Definition of a Transfer Student

You are considered a transfer student if you have enrolled in a community college or university other than a CSU following high school graduation.

  1. Students with fewer than 60 transferable semester (90 quarter) units are considered lower division transfer students.
  2. Students who have completed 60 or more transferable semester college units (90 or more quarter units) are considered upper-division transfer students.
  3. Students who completed college units before they graduated from high school or during the summer between high school graduation and CSU enrollment are considered first-time freshmen and must meet those admission requirements.

Transfer Admission Requirements

Upper-Division Transfer Requirements (60 or more transferable semester or 90 or more quarter units - see note below):

You are eligible for admission if you:

  1. Have a college grade point average of 2.00 or better (2.40 for non-California residents) in all transferable college units completed.
  2. Are in good standing at the last college or university attended (i.e., you are eligible to re-enroll).
  3. Have completed, or will complete prior to transfer at least 30 semester units (45 quarter units) or courses equivalent to general education requirements with a grade of “C” or better. The 30 semester units must include all of the general education requirements in communication in the English language (English composition, oral communication, and critical thinking), and at least one course of at least 3 semester units (4 quarter units) is required in college-level mathematics. (See Area A and B-4 on Saddleback College’s CSU G.E. certification pattern or Areas 1 and 2 of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum).

Note: Some CSU campuses may accept a limited number of lower-division transfer applicants (applicants with fewer than 60 transferable units). Lower-division transfer applicants will be held to specified CSU eligibility standards. Check with a counselor and Calstate Apply for details: http://calstate.edu/apply.

Transferable Coursework

Transferable courses are those designated for that purpose by the college or university offering the courses. Saddleback College certifies courses numbered 1 to 199 in the catalog as CSU-transferable.

A maximum of 70 semester (105 quarter) units earned in a community college may be transferred to the California State University; however, courses in excess of 70 semester units will receive subject credit and will be applied to satisfy content requirements as appropriate. No upper-division credit is allowed for courses taken in a community college.

Students transferring with certification of general education requirements are assured that they have met 39-units of the 48-unit minimum requirements for the bachelor’s degree. Students transferring without certification of general education must complete the pattern of courses required of “native” students, as outlined in the catalog of the particular CSU campus. The CSU G.E. course pattern which Saddleback College uses to certify that the student has met the required minimum of 39 semester units of general education is listed below.

Transfer Students and Certification of CSU General Education Requirements

Transfer Students and Certification of CSU General Education Requirements

(Information Subject to Change)
2021-2022 CSU GE was not available at the time of publication.  Once available, it will be viewable at https://www.saddleback.edu/articulation/IGETCCSU-Degree-Resources. Please meet with a counselor for the most up to date information.

No student will be eligible to petition for certification of the CSU General Education requirements until a minimum of 12 semester units have been completed at Saddleback College.

Saddleback College will certify coursework completed at another California community college or any institution that participates in certifying general education coursework to the CSU, including CSU campuses other than the one to which the student is transferring, only if the courses are on the approved CSU general education list at the college where they were completed in the year when taken. Such a course will be certified in the General Education-Breadth area that is shown on the official certification list for the institution at which it was taken.

When coursework has been taken at a regionally accredited institution that does not maintain a CSU certification list, Saddleback College can certify coursework on a California State University or an approved California Community College general education course list or approved by Saddleback College faculty as meeting CSU general education-breadth certification standards.

Coursework from Irvine Valley College or other community colleges with the same course number and/or title may not always be certified in the same category at Saddleback College for CSU G.E. Certification. Also similar coursework from accredited independent or private colleges will not always be certified unless the course content is deemed equivalent.

Students meeting area requirements may petition for partial certification in one or more of the areas (i.e., Area B, C, D, E or F), but the college will not certify course requirements short of an entire area. The institution to which a student transfers will require completion of the requirement in those sections which are not certified and may require additional specific courses as required of native students.  Starting Fall 2021, full CSU Certification requires completion of an Area F Ethnic Studies course.


In general, courses listed as preparation for the major may also be applicable to general education requirements. Students should refer to the catalog of the institution offering their intended major to determine lower-division major requirements as well as those which are recommended or required in preparation for the major, and the transfer pattern section of the Saddleback College catalog for examples.

Also refer to ASSIST at www.assist.org which is the official California state-wide database listing a selection of campus approved articulation/transfer agreements, general education requirements, and information on UC and CSU-transferable courses. Students are advised to contact a Saddleback College counselor for more information, and for details regarding other transfer agreements and options not available on ASSIST for your transfer college choice.