2022-2023 College Catalog 
    Jul 15, 2024  
2022-2023 College Catalog

Rules and Regulations

Academic Regulations

Students’ Rights and Responsibilities


Grading Policy

In Sections 55020 to 55025 of the California Code of Regulations (Title 5), the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges mandates a grading policy for all California Community Colleges. In compliance with this mandate, the South Orange County Community College District Board of Trustees has established the following provisions under Board Policy 5300 entitled “Grading Policy.” (BP 4230/AR 4230)

Academic Record Symbols and Grade-point Average (GPA)

Evaluative Symbol Meaning Grade-point Value
A Excellent 4
B Good 3
C Satisfactory 2
D Passing, less than satisfactory 1
F Failing 0
FW** Failing Withdrawal 0
P (C) Pass (Credit) (equivalent to A, B, or C; units earned but not counted in GPA)  
NP (NC) No Pass (No Credit) (equivalent to D or F;
however, no units earned and units not counted in (GPA)

**FW - Failing Withdrawal. The FW may be assigned when the student has ceased participating in a course after the last day to officially withdraw from the course without having achieved a final passing grade.

All prerequisite course clearances require a grade of C or higher.

Non-Evaluative Symbol

  I Incomplete academic work for unforeseeable and justifiable reasons at the end of the term may result in an “I” symbol being entered in the student’s record. The condition for removal of the “I” and the grade to be assigned in lieu of its removal is stated by the instructor in a written record at the conclusion of the class. A copy of the record is given to the student and the original is filed in the Office of Admissions and Records. A final grade is assigned when the work stipulated has been completed and evaluated or when the time limit for completing the work has passed. The “I” may be made up no later than one year following the end of the term in which it was assigned. A student may petition for an extension of time due to unusual circumstances before the time limit has passed. Petitions may be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records.

The “I” grade is not used in calculating the grade-point average but excessive “I’s” are used as a factor in progress probation and dismissal procedures.
  W Withdrawal from class or classes shall be authorized through 65% of a term. The academic record of a student who remains in a class beyond 65% of a term must reflect a symbol as authorized in this section, other than a “W.” Students are limited to a total of three withdrawals in a given course.

No notation (“W” or other) shall be made on the academic record of a student who withdraws during the first 20% of the course.

Withdrawal between the 20% and 65% of a term, shall be recorded as a “W” on the student’s record.

The “W” shall not be used in calculating grade-point averages, but excessive “Ws” shall be used as factors in progress probation and dismissal procedures. A student may request permission to withdraw from a class after 65% of the length of the class by following the petition procedure in the Office of Admissions and Records. All requests for this exception shall include complete written details of the circumstances and only extreme emergency reasons clearly beyond the control of the student shall be considered.

Petitions for this exception must be received within the 45 day window for grade appeal after final grades are posted for a given semester.
  EW Excused Withdrawal. The Excused Withdrawal may be permitted when specific events beyond the control of the student affected the student’s ability to complete a course(s). These events may include job transfer outside the geographical region where commuting is impractical, illness of family member where the student is the primary caregiver, other circumstance beyond the control of the student. The student must appeal to the Admissions and Records Office and provide supporting documentation. Upon verification, this symbol may be assigned at any time after the period during which no notation is made for withdrawals. Excused Withdrawals shall not be counted in progress probation, dismissal calculations or calculating the maximum number of enrollments permitted for course repeatability.
  MW The “MW” symbol shall be used for students who are members of an active or reserve military service and receive orders compelling a withdrawal from courses. Upon verification of such orders, this symbol may be assigned at any time during the term with no adverse impact on the student’s academic record or enrollment status. This grading option is retroactive to January 1, 1990.
  IP The “IP” symbol is used to denote that the class extends beyond the normal end of an academic term. It indicates that work is “in progress,” and that assignment of a substantive grade must await its completion. The appropriate evaluative grade and unit credit appear on the student’s record for the term in which the course is completed. The “IP” is not used in calculating the grade-point average.
  SP Satisfactory Progress (non-credit courses only). The “SP” symbol shall be used to denote that the student is making satisfactory progress in a non-credit course, but has not completed sufficient course work to be graded or demonstrated sufficient competency to be awarded a grade.
  UG Ungrade (non-credit courses only).  The “UG” symbol shall be used to denote the student was enrolled in an ungraded non-credit course.

Grade Notification

Grades are available online soon after they have been submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records. Students may view their grades on “MySite”. Grades are not available by mail or telephone.

Pass/No Pass (Formerly Credit/No Credit)

Students have the option to be evaluated on a Pass/No Pass (Credit/No Credit) grading basis except in courses restricted from use of these evaluative symbols and so designated in the college catalog. Students must declare the Pass/No Pass option within the first 30 percent of the class by changing the Pass/No Pass option through online registration. Nursing courses may not be taken for a Pass/No Pass grade unless no other grading option is available.

Certain courses may be evaluated only on a Pass/No Pass grading basis. Such courses will be so designated in the college catalog and clearly indicated in the Schedule of Classes.

A “Pass” (P) grade indicates satisfactory (“C” or better) work in the class and units awarded with such a grade. No grade-points are assigned, however, and the grade is not used to compute the grade-point average.

A “No Pass (NP) grade indicates less than satisfactory work (“D” or “F”) and with such a grade, no units are earned nor is the grade used to compute the grade-point average.

Note: In lieu of the traditional letter grade, the “P/NP” option is offered so that students may explore subject areas of interest outside of their major areas of competence or known abilities without being overly concerned by a grade or jeopardizing their grade-point average. There are a number of factors to consider before making the decision to opt for completion of a course on a Pass/No Pass basis especially for transfer students:

Taking a course on a Pass/No Pass basis is not similar to auditing. Students are held to attendance regulations and must complete all examinations and required coursework.
Some colleges and universities specify that courses required for a major or general education be completed on a graded (A-F) basis.
Students transferring to a UC campus who are required to complete 60 units of coursework with a grade-point average of 2.4 prior to admission must complete at least 42 of the required units on a graded (A-F) basis. Courses to remedy a University of California admissions deficiency are not acceptable if completed on a “pass” (credit) basis.
Students planning to apply to competitive admissions programs should complete specifically required courses on a graded basis.
No Pass (NP) (No Credit) grades are considered by the South Orange County Community College District in determination of progress probation (refer to regulations describing probation/dismissal under scholarship standards).
Students planning to graduate from the South Orange County Community College District must establish a minimum 2.0 grade-point average of 12 units in residence.
Standards for Dean’s List or other academic honors are based on letter-graded courses.