2018-2019 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Medical Coding Specialist Certificate of Achievement
This certificate program prepares the student for employment as a medical coder and revenue cycle specialist in an acute care hospital, clinic or physician’s office, long-term care facility, and other health care settings. Coders review medical records, adhere to current coding guidelines to apply accurate codes for medical diagnoses and procedures to facilitate reimbursement, analyze patient outcomes, and medical research. The Medical Coding Specialist Certificate of Achievement prepares students to take the national certification examination to become a Certified Coding Associate (CCA) offered by American Health Information Association (AHIMA) and the Certified Professional Coder (CPC) exam through the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). This program provides training through didactic instruction and labs. Facilities employing coding professionals include hospitals, ambulatory care centers, physician offices, long-term care facilities, and insurance firms.
- Coding Specialist
- Clinical Documentation Specialist
- HIM Revenue Auditor
- Revenue Cycle Manager
- Coding Manager
- Reimbursement and Insurance Manager
- Patient clinical record content, both inpatient and outpatient
- Physiological changes and altered functions in the human body resulting from disease processes.
- ICD, CPT/HCPCS diagnostic and procedural coding systems, and common coding errors.
- Diagnosis Related Groups (DRGs), Resource-Based Relative Value Scale (RBRVS), Ambulatory Payment Classifications (APCs), components of fee setting, optimizing reimbursement based on insurance specifications.
- Basic pharmacological terminology and concepts, drug categories and their uses, mechanisms of drug action, dosage forms and routes of administration.
- Data quality impact and characteristics, including validity, reliability, completeness, legibility, currency, timeliness and accessibility.
- Encoders and groupers, their benefits and limitations.
- Legal aspects of heath care, confidentiality requirements.
- Computer applications and topics related to computers in health care.