Aug 07, 2020
2019-2020 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) to Registered Nurse (RN) 30-Unit Option Certificate of Achievement
BRN Rules and Regulations
Section 1429 - Preparation Required for Licensed Vocational Nurses
- An applicant who is licensed in California as a vocational nurse is eligible to apply for licensure as a registered nurse if such applicant has successfully completed the courses prescribed below and meets all the other requirements set forth in Section 2736 of the code. Such applicant shall submit evidence to the board, including a transcript, of successful completion of the requirements set forth in subsection (c) and of successful completion or challenge of courses in physiology and microbiology comparable to such courses required for licensure as a registered nurse.
- The school shall offer objective counseling of this option and evaluate each licensed vocational nurse applicant for admission to its registered nursing program on an individual basis. A school’s determination of the prerequisite courses required of a licensed vocational nurse applicant shall be based on an analysis of each applicant’s academic deficiencies, irrespective of the time such courses were taken.
- The additional education required of licensed vocational nurse applicants shall not exceed a maximum of thirty (30) semester or forty-five (45) quarter units. Courses required for vocational nurse licensure do not count toward fulfillment of the additional education requirement. However, other courses comparable to those required for licensure as a registered nurse, as specified in Section 1426, may be counted toward fulfillment of the additional education requirement.
Nursing courses shall be taken in an accredited school and shall be beyond courses equivalent to the first year of professional nursing courses. The nursing content shall include nursing intervention in acute, preventive, remedial, supportive, rehabilitative, and teaching aspects of nursing. Theory and courses with concurrent clinical practice shall include advanced medical-surgical, mental health, psychiatric nursing, and geriatric nursing. The nursing content shall include the basic standards for competent performance prescribed in Section 1443.5 of these regulations.
Admission of LVNs to the Nursing program is on a space-available basis. To be placed on the wait list requires:
- Proof of satisfactory completion of an accredited VN program or a current California VN license.
- Completion of BIO 12 *, BIO 15 *, and N 162* with grades of “C” or better and with a GPA of 2.5 or greater.
- Attendance at “LVN to RN” guidance session.
- Completion of N 162 * (lecture) and N 162 * (lab) with a grade of “C or better within a maximum of 3 semesters of program entry.
- Applicant must commit, in writing, to the 30-unit status prior to or during application.
- Application submitted with the Director/Assistant Director of Nursing.
- Completion of standardized Assessment Technology Institute (ATI) tests at or above designated cut scores.
- Proof of completion of a minimum of one (1) year of direct patient care as an LVN.
Consideration will be given to each applicant’s prior education in determining placement into the program. All classes are challengeable. Every required prerequisite and core class must be completed with a “C” or better.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students who complete this program will be able to:
- Demonstrate sufficient preparation to pass the NCLEX upon first attempt.
- Promote and maintain a safe environment by integrating current evidence-based practice, the nursing process, and skill competency to deliver quality health care.
- Demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitudes required of the professional nurse as defined by the California Nurse Practice Act and standards of nursing practice.
Courses Required for the 30-Unit Option:
Total Units for the Certificate: 30
*Course has a prerequisite, corequisite, limitation, or recommended preparation; see course description.
¥Fulfills the Management & Leadership and Advanced Medical-Surgical requirement.
The Nursing Program is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN) and accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN)
P.O. Box 944210
Sacramento, CA. 94244
To Contact ACEN
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, Georgia 30326
Phone: (404) 975-5000
Fax: (404) 975-5020