2021-2022 Catalog 
    Apr 20, 2024  
2021-2022 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Credit for Prior Learning

Military Service Credit

Six semester units of general elective credit toward an Associate degree will be awarded for a minimum of one year of active honorable service. In the first semester of attendance, veterans who are collecting V.A. educational benefits must submit their DD-214 or other military service record to the Veterans Office to be evaluated for these credits. Other veterans who are not collecting V.A. educational benefits, will be evaluated by the Office of Admissions and Records.

In addition, credit will be awarded for work completed successfully in non-collegiate military service schools, not to exceed 15 semester units, according to the recommendations of the American Council on Education as stipulated in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. Military Service credit will be evaluated only upon completion of 12 units in residence and application for an associate degree, CSU and/or IGETC certification or certificate. Military evaluation forms are available in VETS Program.

Military service credit may not necessarily apply toward minimum admissions requirements for other colleges or universities. Credit is generally given only after the student is fully matriculated and enrolled at the university upon submission of Form DD-214 or DD- 295.

Saddleback College veterans’ counselors are your primary source of information regarding academic planning, veteran’s resources, and career and personal counseling. They are located in the college VETS Center and are available for scheduled appointments and walk-in sessions. VA students will need to get a My Academic Plan (MAP) completed by one of these counselors in order to start receiving VA educational benefits. Questions regarding course selection and academic requirements may be addressed through this source.