Jan 26, 2023
The curriculum in Music is designed to provide the student the opportunity to achieve an Associate degree. While a baccalaureate or higher degree is recommended for those considering professional careers related to this field, earning the Associate degree will demonstrate commitment to the major, and attainment of a degree which can support attempts to gain entry-level employment.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Students who complete this program will be able to:
- analyze musical scores and compositions
- critique personal music performances and those of other musicians
- analyze and perform the elements of music (rhythm, melody, harmony, and form)
- create derivative or original music at a level appropriate to the area of specialization
- compare and contrast the characteristics of various musical cultures and historical periods from the origin of music history to the present
The following course of study must be completed to fulfill major requirements for the Associate Degree in Music:
- MUS 10 HARMONY I 3 Units *
- MUS 11 HARMONY II 3 Units *
- MUS 50 - APPLIED MUSIC: INSTRUMENTAL 2.5 Units, 2.5 Units
- MUS 51 - APPLIED MUSIC: KEYBOARD 2.5 Units, 2.5 Units
- MUS 52 - APPLIED MUSIC: VOICE 2.5 Units, 2.5 Units
Select from: MUS 31, 32, 33, 34, 35*, 40, 41*,42*, 47*, 62, 63, 64, 66, 75, 148 or 297 3-6 Units
- MUS 54A BEGINNING PIANO I 2 Units (or proficiency exam)
- MUS 54B BEGINNING PIANO II 2 Units (or proficiency exam) *
- MUS 55A INTERMEDIATE PIANO I 2 Units (or proficiency exam) *
- MUS 55B INTERMEDIATE PIANO II 2 Units (or proficiency exam) *
- MUS 92 - MUSICIANSHIP I 2 Units
- MUS 93 - MUSICIANSHIP II 2 Units
Select two courses from: MUS 20, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 6 Units
Total Units for the Major: 24-27
*Course has a prerequisite, corequisite, limitation, or recommended preparation; see course description.
Refer to Graduation Requirements for specific information regarding unit, scholarship, residence, and general education requirements.
Associate in Arts Degree
Completion of the required courses in the major and a minimum of 60 units including the general education requirements with an overall GPA of 2.0 qualifies the student for the Associate in Arts degree. A minimum of 12 units must be completed at Saddleback College.
General Education Requirements for Associate Degrees
Refer to the Graduation Requirements or to the CSU-GE and IGETC patterns in this catalog for specific courses which meet general education requirements. Refer to ASSIST.org and to the transfer institution’s catalog for transfer requirements.