2018-2019 Catalog 
    Jul 15, 2024  
2018-2019 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Articulation/Transfer Patterns

Transfer Planning

  1. Transfer students, that is, students planning to enter a university or four-year college after attending Saddleback College, should take note of the following recommendations:
    1. Consult the catalog of the college or university to which they intend to transfer for such requirements as:
      1. Admissions Information
      2. Major course requirements
      3. General education or breadth requirements
    2. Avoid taking upper-division courses required by the particular college or school of the university in which the advanced work is to be taken. 
      Important point: Degree credit in the major can be expected only for those community college courses which parallel courses designated as lower division by four-year colleges or universities.
    3. Note courses which must be taken in preparation for the major as well as those required in the major.
    4. Remember that community college courses transfer to four-year colleges in terms of specific or elective credit depending upon the school and major selected. Refer to the ASSIST (Articulation System Stimulating Interinstitutional Student Transfer) website at www.assist.org which is the official California statewide database listing a selection of campus-approved transfer agreements, general education requirements, and information on UC and CSU transferable courses and major preparation. Students are advised to contact a Saddleback College counselor for more information, and for details regarding other transfer agreements and options not available on ASSIST for your transfer college choice.
    5. Note any policies regarding the maximum number of units which may be transferable. A maximum of 70 transferable units completed at the community college level may be applied toward the total number of units required for a bachelor’s degree by the University of California or the California State University. Subject credit for transferable courses in excess of 70 units may also be granted to satisfy university graduation requirements. Any courses accepted as equivalent to those offered in lower-division by the university completed at the community college, even if beyond the 70-unit maximum, will be applied where needed to meet specific lower-division major and/or general education/breadth requirements. Therefore, students are strongly advised to complete all courses designated as required lower-division preparation for the major prior to transfer, especially where admission to the major is contingent on completion of specific courses.
  2. Students should also avail themselves of opportunities to meet with representatives of colleges and universities which are scheduled throughout the academic year in the Transfer Center.
  3. Catalogs for the University of California and the California State University are available in the Career Center. The Career Center maintains catalogs from other institutions as well.
  4. Student Responsibility for Meeting Transfer Requirements: All students must assume complete responsibility for compliance with regulations and instructions set forth in university or college catalogs for their intended transfer institution, and for selecting the courses which will permit them to meet their educational objectives and for satisfying prerequisites for any programs or courses which they plan to take for transfer.